Saturday, January 15, 2011

Eat Nothing, Do Something.

The other day I was waiting for the bus, and I saw the back of someone's tshirt. It said "Eat nothing, do something." I was quite shocked, considering I had seen her come from the gym, and was thinking about the post I was going to make on this blog about the current state of societal body type expectations, the effects of media and photoshop on youth and self-perceptions of body image; I thought of extravagant ways to express my disgust with the fact that a tshirt actually presented that slogan, let alone the irony of it being worn at the gym for a work out; I was going to do outside research, have stats about body images, maybe mention the new TV show "Village on a Diet," and discuss the distortions of body image and types spanning from tiny body frames to the obesity epidemic; there was the potential for specific stats about northern Ontario, a few anecdotes about my own gym experiences, and how much I do, in fact, enjoy going to the gym myself, but feel there are limits and health concerns when taken too far to the extreme. Essentially, there was to be a discussion about individual health and finding balance without going to either extremity of the spectrum.

However, I luckily decided to Google said slogan before my extensive discussion on the topic. What did I find, you may ask? That it is the slogan for World Vision's 12 hour famine, meant to draw attention to world hunger. After all that, all I could think was: "What a fantastic slogan!" I mean, it not only got my attention, but all the emotions and the internal discussion I had with myself basically focused on the choices we make and how both extreme starvation or extreme overeating of unhealthy food are not positive choices. But the whole point of the 12 hour famine is to bring awareness to the fact that those who are starving and impoverished simply do not have that choice at all. End of story. So thank you, random fellow Nipissing student, for grounding my thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man! When I saw the title of this post I thought the same thing! I couldn't believe you had written that! Figured it out after I read the post though ... good call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I always appreciate good attention-grabbing campaigns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do too! I'm a marketing student and I love it when I find a good campaign slogan like that. Sometimes I wonder if some are too extreme, but that one is a good one I htink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from a marketing perspective! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete